Monday 28 November 2011

His grace is sufficient...



Sometime ago I read one of the many interesting articles by Pastor Francis Frangipane. Speaking about Moses, he wrote, "The Lord took a self-assured world leader and reduced his opinion of himself until he possessed no confidence in himself. And it was in this state of mind that God decided to use him. Having been thoroughly  convinced of his unfitness for leadership, Moses was now qualified to lead."

I am currently in a season of 'having been thoroughly convinced of my unfitness to lead.' Having had some great opportunities in the past akin to Moses' time spent in Pharaoh's palace, I am nevertheless constantly aware of my weaknesses and my failures to the extent that I have come to doubt my ability to lead. But I feel the Lord calling me again - not to leadership, but to service.

I may not have all the gifts of oratory and eloquence, nor all the right connections that seem to be a necessary ingredient for seeking office in Kenya, but I am encouraged by Pastor Francis when he writes, "For Moses, the very mention of the word Egypt floods his mind with weakness; Moses fears returning to the place of his humiliation, especially to lead. Yet God has not called him to be a leader, but a servant. And to be a servant, one need not be eloquent, but obedient."

He goes on to say, "Moses is sure his particular weakness, stammering, will disqualify him. How can a man who cannot speak for himself speak for God? Yet, not only is the Lord unhindered by human weakness, He takes credit for it. God stripped Moses of his worldly place and training, burdened him with a heavy and slow tongue, and then commanded him to serve Him in this specific area of weakness."

Perhaps I have spent too much time blaming the devil for certain weaknesses and limitations that actually have their origins in God. What truly matters with God is not the eloquence of my words, but His power to fulfill them. The Lord knows that the weaker His servant, the more genuinely he will give glory to God.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Corinthians 12:9)

---------

Ministries of Francis Frangipane - http://www.frangipane.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment