Wednesday 23 July 2014

God's Chosen People or the Synagogue of Satan?

For the longest time, ever since we were children, we were taught that Israel are God's special people, the chosen race, that as good Christians we should pray for the state of Israel.

Now I watch this genocide going on in Gaza. The murder of children, women and men; the bombing of schools and hospitals, the destruction of homes.... and this by God's chosen people.... in the name of self-defence against an occupied territory that has no army, no air force, no navy.

The death toll inflicted on the unchosen people on Day 15 is almost 700 against 20 Israelis. But Benjamin Netanyahu tells the world not to worry about the unchosen, because they are 'telegenically dead'. What does that mean???

The US and Europe ban their flights from flying to Israel over security concerns and there's an outcry from the chosen people. "Unfair!" they scream. Less than 24 hours and they are already feeling the isolation. And yet for a decade, they have blockaded the people of Gaza to suffocation.

I'm I the only Christian who is feeling confused here? My mother is no longer alive for me to ask her if I should continue to pray for the state of Israel for God to give them wisdom on how to respond to the dilemma of the 'telegenically dead', for God to protect their soldiers as they annihilate the unchosen children and destroy their homes, schools and hospitals, for God to rebuke the Americans and the Europeans for banning their planes from flying to the Holy Land.

And so this morning I have to part ways with the faith of my mother in God's chosen people. I have to remind myself that in the same scriptures that my mother told me to seek guidance from even in her absence, I have read somewhere that we should love our neighbour, that we should not kill... even 'telegenically kill.' And I have also read in the same scriptures in the third chapter of the book of Revelation the following promise of Jesus, words that I pray would bring comfort to the children dying in Gaza:

"8 See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 9 I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment