Monday 2 April 2018

PRODUCE MIGUNA MIGUNA IN COURT BY THURSDAY

PRODUCE MIGUNA MIGUNA IN COURT BY THURSDAY
BY NJONJO MUE
WE THE PEOPLE
My name is Njonjo Mue and I am a Kenyan by birth. My Kenyan citizenship is a God-given right and not a favour granted by the government. The Constitution of Kenya protects it and guarantees it. It does not grant it. The government may abuse this right because it has the power to do so and the physical control of our borders, but it cannot legitimately take it away.
I hold an ordinary Kenyan Passport. It too is a right and not a favour. I have the right to leave and enter Kenya as I wish using the said passport as do all other Kenyans.
Like many Kenyans, I have watched helplessly as our government has abused the same rights of another Kenyan, rights that I take for granted for myself. I have watched in frustration as our courts have at first demanded, then requested, then pleaded and finally begged the government to respect their orders on this matter, in accordance with our Constitution, but to no avail.
I watched in dismay on Monday night as hundreds of armed policemen descended upon our airport, beat up journalists and roughed up lawyers who were trying to do their jobs. I also watched helplessly on local and international news as the reputation of our country was being shredded before the eyes of the world by people with guns at the orders of faceless bureaucrats and unaccountable securocrats. Like countless other Kenyans I could only grin and bare it because I had no power and I had no guns.
In the course of this experience, I have come to the realisation that it is not power that corrupts in moments like these, it is powerlessness. We as Kenyans are approaching the abyss of powerlessness, and therefore are most vulnerable to the corruption of powerlessness. This is the corruption that causes irresistible temptation to violence, even when one knows all too well that violence is ultimately counterproductive.
But we will not give in to that temptation because there is still one more thing we can do to stand up to those who defy our courts because they have guns.
The courts have done their part in the exercise of the authority given to them by we the citizens, but you the government have ignored them. It is time that we the people started to exercise that authority directly. In so doing, we are giving you one last opportunity to do the right thing.
On behalf of We The People, I am therefore directing Interior Secretary Fred Matiang'i, Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinett and the PS for Immigration Gordon Kihalangwa to produce Dr. Miguna Miguna in a court of competent jurisdiction within the Republic of Kenya at or before 12.00 Noon on Thursday, the 5th day April 2018.
Failure to do this will result not in conviction for contempt or a fine or a jail sentence, because we are past that point. It shall result in consequences for yourselves that are commensurate to the contempt that you continue to show to the Kenyan people.
SIGNED, for and on behalf of the People of Kenya,
Njonjo Mue

end/NM/30.03.2018

No comments:

Post a Comment